In 1909, Lewis Merthyr Consolidated Collieries Ltd. began the sinking of two shafts – Catherine and Anne Pits, named after daughters of Sir William Thomas Lewis, the head of the combine. The first sod was cut on 25th August 1909.
The No. 2 Rhondda house coal seam was proved in the Catherine Pit at a depth of 749 feet and in the Anne Pit at 781 feet and was worked extensively throughout the life of the colliery.
The No. 3 Rhondda seam was proved in the Anne Pit at 1054 feet but it was not worked extensively.
A third shaft called Mary Pit was sunk in 1923 to the west of the River Ogmore but was abandoned in Running Sand at a depth of about 60 feet. The colliery was abandoned on 08th November 1924.
|Brooks||David John||13||25th Jul 1916|
|Clatworthy||John||45||3rd Apr 1924|
|Evans||Richard||31||18th May 1912|
|Gunner||William||29||1st Dec 1921|
|John||Daniel||38||15th Aug 1910|
|Lewis||Cyril||27||2nd Oct 1923|
|Lewis||Edmund J.||29||19th Nov 1915|
|Plaister||W.W.||38||10th Jan 1915|
|Richards||Wlliam||44||15th Aug 1910|
|Sherman||Reginald||15||28th Apr 1922|
|Sweet||Thomas||38||26th Jul 1917|
|Tilbury||W.||42||11th May 1924|