Tynewydd Colliery was opened by J. Brogden and Sons late in 1865 to work the No. 3 Rhondda seam, a bituminous coking and house coal seam; domestic coke was manufactured in nearby coke ovens. For a short period, the fireclay and shale produced during the working of the coal seam were processed and burnt for brick making in nearby beehive type brick kilns.
The colliery was worked with naked lights and, originally, with furnace ventilation which was replaced by a steam driven fan in its later years.
During its lifetime the colliery was owned by:
T. Thomas, John Brogden and Sons (The Llynvi and Tondu Iron and Coal Co. Ltd.)
The Llynvi, Tondu and Ogmore Coal & Iron Company Ltd.
and North’s Navigation Collieries (1889) Ltd.
Tynewydd Colliery was abandoned on the 10th January 1905.
|Board||Thomas||20||14th Mar 1895|
|Branch||Harry||12||24th Jul 1888|
|burnett||H.||59||10th Nov 1874|
|Chave||Henry||29||23rd May 1900|
|Chave||Lewis||17||23rd May 1900|
|Davey||Henry||47||28th Aug 1896|
|Edmunds||Lewis||34||22nd Jul 1881|
|Gibbon||G.M.||16||7th Nov 1882|
|Heard||Hugh||35||1st Dec 1900|
|Howells||William||20||4th Sep 1868|
|Hyde||Edward||24||29th Oct 1884|
|James||Evan||14||28th Mar 1882|
|Jones||Richard||70||19th Jul 1899|
|Landers||Richard||39||26th Jul 1867|
|Lucas||John L.||13||28th Sep 1897|
|Norton||J.||32||17th Jun 1876|
|Parkhouse||W.||20||1st Dec 1900|
|Rowland||J.||30||14th Feb 1872|
|Sampson||Abner||41||20th Feb 1886|
|Watkins||J.||62||13th Nov 1883|