Tel: 01656 842 258


Tynewydd Infants

Other Schools



 Name School From To Comments
Miss E. F. MeredithTynewydd Infants01st Apr 188711th Mar 1895The Junior & Infants departments moved into the “New School” (now Tynewydd Junior School) on 7th Nov 1893. Infants attendance being very low due to a measles epidemic in the Valley at that time.
Miss Fannie M. ThomasTynewydd Infants11th Mar 189531st Jan 1896Miss Thomas resigned and moved to Pontycymmer Infants
>Miss Vida E. JonesTynewydd Infants31st Jan 189628th Jul 1899Miss Jones resigned on 28th Jul 1899 and became Mrs Edwards (Their daughter Dorothy became a famous if somewhat tragic authoress who took her own life in the 1920`s). She remained temporary head until 01st Nov 1899.
Elizabeth A. JamesTynewydd Infants01st Nov 1899??In 1903 the school comes under the control of the Councils.
Miss Margaret F. MathiasTynewydd Infants??01st July 1921
Miss Rachel EvansTynewydd Infants01st July 192130th Sep 1940On 30th Sep 1940, Tynewydd Girls & Infants School cease to be separate Schools and merge to Form “Tynewydd Girls & Infants School”. Miss Rachel Evans takes up the vacant post at Aber Infants.
Miss Bessie W. JonesTynewydd Girls30th Aug 19151917The new Tynewydd Boys School was built in 1914-15 in Caedu, with the boys moving out and the Infants and Girls school remaining at the School Hill Building.
Miss BoobyerTynewydd Girls19171918
Mrs Iris Edith JonesTynewydd Girls19181919The first married woman to take charge, resigned when her husband returned from the front.
Miss BoobyerTynewydd Girls191901st July 1921
Miss Katie L. GriffithsTynewydd Girls01st July 192130th Sep 1940On 30th Sep 1940, Tynewydd Girls & Infants School cease to be separate School and merge to Form Tynewydd Girls & Infants School.
Miss Katie L. GriffithsTynewydd Girls & Infants01st Oct 1940#####Miss Katie Griffiths resigns to take up post in Kenfig Hill.
Miss Barbara AllinsonTynewydd Girls & InfantsDec-43Sep-50Miss Barbara Allinson retires after 39 years service with Tynewydd Infants.
Miss Mavis LlewellynTynewydd Girls & InfantsSep-5001st Sep 1952Tynewydd ceases to be a combined “girls & Infants school, with all Junior Girls transferred to Aber Girls Junior School.
Miss Mavis LlewellynTynewydd Infants01st Sep 195202nd Feb 1953
Miss Mildred Mackney DaviesTynewydd Infants02nd Feb 1953Oct-56
Mrs Mildred Mackney RoweTynewydd InfantsOct-56#####Tynewydd acquires it`s first wireless set.
Miss R. M. CookeTynewydd InfantsNov-58#####Temporary head due to illness of Mrs M. M. Rowe. Mrs Cooke (nee Griffiths) emigrated to Australia on 20th June 1959 and Miss Little took over as Assistant.
Mrs Mildred Mackney RoweTynewydd InfantsMar-5927th Jul 1962Mrs M. M. Rowe resigned her post “after nine and a half happy years as head teacher” in order to become head teacher of Bryncethin Infants’
Mrs G. Howe.Tynewydd Mixed Junior27th Jul 1962See Junior School ListOn 27th Jul 1962, Aber Girls Junior and Tynewydd Boys School once again are re-united in the Tynewydd Infants School to form Tynewydd Junior School. It was to remain so titles until it`s final closure in Jul 2003, when all Ogmore Primary Schools closed to form “Ogmore Vale Primary School, in a new School on the Penwllyngwent estate in Sep 2003

Thank you for applying for membership of the Ogmore Valley Local History & Heritage Society. We just need your payment of £5 now which you can pay by clicking the PayPal button below.