The No. 3 Rhondda house coal seam was probably opened up by a local farmer sometime before 1865. It ceased production c. 1873. These levels were reopened illegally by striking colliers during the 1921 and 1926.
The Penllwyngwent Colliery opened in 1906. The image dates from the 1920’s when the Aerial Ropeway was installed to take the colliery spoil to the top of Mynydd Aber. The colliery suffered a fire in 1969 and officially closed on 7th February 1969.
Wyndham Colliery produced of both House and Steam coal, employed 1,332 men by 1918. During 1957 the colliery was linked underground with the nearby Western Colliery, with coal from the combined unit being raised at Wyndham.