THE OGMORE VALLEY

LOCAL HISTORY & HERITAGE SOCIETY

Tel: 01656 842 258

EMAIL: ovlhs@ovlhs.co.uk

Tynewydd Juniors School

Other Schools

First started as “Tondu Works School” for Aber Collieries in a Room in house in the North of Tynewydd Row. In 1871 the School was moved to a purpose built wooden school at the end of Tynewydd Row and were forever known afterwards as “University Buildings”. This first wooden school building was later used as the Workmen’s Hall (from 1892) and from 1910 as the offices for the Aber Coal Company. It was demolished in 1974 to make way for the “Oxford Court Flats”. The third and last Tynewydd School was built and opened in 1892 on School Hill. The School clsoed in July 2003 when all the pupils were transferred to the new Ogmore Vale Primary School built on the old site of Ogmore Vale Generating Station. The school was subject to an Arson attack in 2006 and now Town Houses have been built on the site.

 

 

 Name School From To Comments Source
John SmithTynewydd Infants & Juniors186525th Mar 1873First started as “Tondu Works School” for Aber Collieries in a Room in house in the North of Tynewydd Row. In 1871 the School was moved to a purpose built wooden school at the end of Tynewydd Row and were forever known as “University Buildings. It was later used as the Workmen’s Hall (from 1892) and from 1910 as the offices for the Aber Coal Company. It was demolished in 1974 to make way for the “Oxford Court Flats.
William BamfordTynewydd Infants & Mixed Juniors25th Mar 1873Aug 1873
Henry MackneyTynewydd Infants & Mixed JuniorsAug 187301st Apr 1887In 1874 the Inspectors report stated there were, in addition to the Master, 2 pupil teachers and a “A. Mackney”, sewing Mistress. In 1880 this was increased with an Assistant Mistress (Miss Margaret Joseph) and another pupil teacher. In 1886 with the setting up of the School Boards, “Tynewydd” ceased to be a “Tondu Works School” and came under the control of Llangeinor School Board.
Henry MackneyTynewydd Mixed Juniors01st Apr 188717th Oct 1894On 01st Apr 1887 the Llangeinor School Board decided to split the Junior & Infant sections.

On 20th March 1889 the school board passed the resolution that “That no corporal punishment be administered by anyone except the head Teacher.”

Edward EdwardsTynewydd Mixed Juniors17th Oct 189430th Aug 1915On the 08th Feb 1895 it was reported in the school log that the thermometer measured three degrees of frost inside the school building and that the ink was frozen in the inkwells! In 1903 the school comes under the control of the Councils. In 1915 the Boys and Girls became separate Schools, the boys moving to Caedu.

Edward Edwards formed the first branch of the Independent Labour Party in Ogmore Vale in 1893 as a result of the Wyndham Hauliers Strike which escalated into a strike across the whole of South wales with 40,000 miners on strike and 9,000 facing a lockout

Mrs G. HoweTynewydd Mixed Juniors03rd Sep 196221st Jul 1970In 1962 the Boys School in Caedu closed and the boys again joined the Girls Aber Junior school to form Tynewydd Junior School.
Mr Reginald G. SaundersTynewydd Mixed Juniors21st Jul 197002nd Nov 1970
Mr Aelfryn EvansTynewydd Mixed Juniors02nd Nov 197003-Sep-82Aelfryn Evans
Mr Elfed RobertsTynewydd Mixed Juniors03-Sep-82Sep-87Cut short due to ill healthAelfryn Evans
Mrs Margaret RichTynewydd Mixed JuniorsSep-87Sep-97Aelfryn Evans
Mr P. CrokeTynewydd Mixed JuniorsSep-97??Aelfryn Evans
Ms Jill SparkesTynewydd Mixed Juniors??Jul-03Tynewydd Junior School closed to merge with Aber, Fronwen and Ogmore Nursery to Form Ogmore Vale Primary School which opens in Sep 2003.Aelfryn Evans
Miss M. LlewellynTynewydd Infants????Aelfryn Evans
Mrs M. RoweTynewydd Infants????Aelfryn Evans

Thank you for applying for membership of the Ogmore Valley Local History & Heritage Society. We just need your payment of £5 now which you can pay by clicking the PayPal button below.